Regdefend fails Regtest Test 2

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by jimmytop, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

I installed Regdefend (trial) on a clean install of XP Pro SP2 virtual machine using MS Virtual PC 2004. I rebooted the VM and made sure Regdefend started up properly. Left the default settings alone.

Next, I ran Regtest. Immediately I get the following Regdefend alert:
    "Regtest.exe tried to modify the following registry VALUE
    With this Data
    This item is in the Auto Starts registry group
    Process: path to regtest.exe
    Registry Key: HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
    Registry Value: 1regtest1"

Now, at this point it doesn't matter whether I "Allow" or "Block", the end result is the same. I initiate Test 1, block a couple of alerts and all modifications fail (in other words, good result - regdefend working).

Next I go to Test 2. I see what might be an alert but the virtual machine reboots before I can be sure. It goes through boot-up but as soon as it gets back into Windows, and I click OK on the Regdefend Trial Edition splash screen, the VM shuts down again and reboots again. As it's shutting down it hangs at "Saving your settings" for a long time. Then it finally reboots all the way back into Windows but this time I get the "Registry Tester Your system can be compromised by malicious software" message.

What gives? Why put a test out there that can beat your own software...lol. Was that the point? No one's safe??

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well neither me or any of my beta testers can reproduce the situation where RegDefend fails Test 2, which is the issue here. :)

3. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Blows right past RD and PG on my system too Jason. I have XP Pro SP2 with all latest updates. I just paid for RD and am beginning to regret my decision. Is there some hardening required of your apps that Im not aware of?

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yep we finally managed to get one of our beta testers to exhibit the problem, and thanks to him with some further testing we ironed out the issue in RegDefend. It will be fixed in the upcoming v1.200 release.

5. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Super! My faith returns. I don't post a lot but Im constantly tweaking my system based on what I learn here and at the other forums. You guys are an invaluable source of information. I eagerly await the next release.

6. tayasimggg

tayasimggg Registered Member

i have the same case....
    way?
    what is the reg attack path to the registry?
    meybe i can loucate the hole?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.